Off to Chile

It all begins with a flight from Melbourne to Punta Arenas.At 5:00 am Melbourne time it´s time to rise. The flight was at 7:00am, I left 5:15am, tired as I never sleep well before flights. The drive to town was slowed to 40kph by roadworks on the Tullamarine, but I made it in time for the big haul.
The quality of LAN airways is as good as any airline I´ve been on, up there with Qantas and the other majors. The flight was smooth and passed quickly despite the length of time flying - magic of in-flight DVDs these days. The only chore was the lag time of 5 hours to connect to Punta Arenas in Santiago, made longer than expected because we arrived an hour 15 earlier.
Santiago airport ´Aeropuerto Internacional Arturo Merino Benítez´ was affected by the earthquake recently, cosmetically anyway. Quite a few of the ceiling panels had fallen. With a tired fogged brain and Spanish lingua no comprende - I got a bit confused to where I should go thinking that I should go to transfers instead of immigration.

Here I was stuck in no man´s land and couldn´t work out where to go once trapped in the wrong area. One of the LAN staff was saying go to level 1 via the lift and the lift was undergoing repair, ultimately I nutted out that I should backtrack through all the checkpoints explaining in double Dutch to all who cared to listen, and take the alternative option I vaguely recollected seeing - dumb foreigners !

I wandered out of the international terminal after passing through customs. Some of my food was confiscated - Chileans are as strict as Australia when it comes to dried fruit, I just hope I have enough time to restock in Puerto Natales. Outside there were taxi and accommodation spruikers, but that is not what I wanted, I needed domestic. Some guy knowing how bewildered we tourists can be assisted in direction, he got me to the right place so a small gratuity wasn´t out of place.

After all that kerfuffle I still had 4 or more hours to wait. I was supremely afraid of falling asleep and missing my connection so here I was in the desert of a large almost vacant factory space having empathy for those who are forced to undergo sleep deprivation torture. But somehow relief was at hand and people arrived and I was off.

A friendly face - Luis from La Casa Escondida was on hand to pick me up. This guy went out his way to assist me well appreciated after 25 hours or so of travel - what a nice place he has. A nice shower, you beauty, I am in desparate need of a rinse. Credit to TripAdvisor, the recommendations are accurate. Here I am in top quality accommodation at a price (30000clp - $60) I could easily pay fourfold in Australia. Good time to travel in Chile is off season .

Luis built the place himself and had an excellent command of English. The fires were going, I got an en-suite room to myself and enjoyed a beer with him. He is even toying with organising bike trips down the road to Fuerte Bulnes in the parks, which piked a bit of interest from me. Good start to my trip.

Oh, we are now a day behind. The dates here are according to Melbourne, but in Chile I am 14 hours behind so the dates are effectively minus one from the dates posted on this blog.


Blog Indexes:


Comments