Refugio Grey to Refugio Paine Grande

The W track places a feature at each apex of the W. The first being Glacier Grey. Glaciers are solid waterfalls of ice and are, like their watery counterpart pleasing on the eye and senses. The rainy start is no dampener to my visit.
I walked up to the glacier, first stopping at the mirador - lookout, before going to campmento los guardas. I wanted to stay here all day, and perhaps should have, but there was a compulsion to get the 'W' in before the forecast inclement weather set in. I did however stay until after 1pm so it was no rush.
I was glad the weather cleared as I was able to see what I missed on the way in, going back. This glacier is quite large and is visible along most of the length of the lake, and the mountains provide a great backdrop.
I got to Paine Grande camp in enough time to pitch the tent before dark. I placed my food in the cooking shelter because of the mice, but I was most dismayed to discover the vermin ate a hole in my tent anyway arghh!!

I suggest that anyone who camps here should carry a pack of ratsak and sprinkle it all round the outside of their tent. (After my trek when I got back to Casa Cecilia in Puerto Natales, Werner reckoned the mice only ate expensive tents ! )

It cost 4500clp to camp here, and I was not impressed. The showers were freezing and dirty and need repair - though later I discovered you had to ask to get the heater turned on, and they are cleaned in the morning. Campers are treated as third class citizens here and the mouse episode did not help my opinion.

The scenery looking out from my tent, with that snow covered mountain back drop was stunning.


Blog Indexes:


Comments