Cachora

Cachora elevation 2850 metres, bearing 13.43806S 72.82568W. Somewhat lower than Cusco, is easier to acclimatise. I had a sound sleep, and am looking forward to relaxing in a quiet town.
Yesterday my stomach was gassed up, today the rear end loosened up. Perhaps the skewered meat in Cusco, perhaps the fruit at Andean South Inn, perhaps ... anyway at some stage I was going to get hit by some bug. I decided that it was time to use the drugs, there was no way I want to walk with the thought of an 'accident'. I am amazed at how effective Gastro-Stop was, but glad I did not need the other, more powerful drugsin my medical kit.
Anyway, back to Cachora. This town is situated in a lovely valley and is a nice, but somewhat worn out country town. I got to see many rural based activities such as the harvesting and preparation of crops.
I reckon Jan should start up a horse or mule ride business taking tourists around the valley and perhaps to the old Jesuit mission.
Other opportunities spring to mind, perhaps visit to the orphanage or helping out with the farmers harvesting crops using traditional means. Trouble is I, like many others after a long journey was quite happy to simply veg out.
I wandered round town, it was mother's day so festivities were on at church and the ladies were playing soccer in the local grounds (concrete).
I also met with a couple of lads and sampled my first taste of chicha, a brew made from corn pulp. The brew is muddy looking and tastes like home brew beer dregs. It took a bit of effort to drink it, but somehow I managed.
Tonight I went out in the town's only restaurant with Jan, his wife and lovely year and a bit daughter. It would be tough to locate this restaurant on my own as it is tucked away behind a house with no signage.
The food was good and certainly affordable. Back at Casa I enjoyed a tipple of top quality Pisco liqueur with Jan and the others round a smoky fire and subsequently slept – soundly (or was it with a sound ?) that night.

Blog Indexes:

 
References:

Comments