Last Day of my Jungle trip: Manu Park Day 7

Our last day in the Manu, it has been a long haul with an average 6 hours per day boat trips combined with 9 hours and more of taxi or bus on each end. But we are in the jungle to see the life, and this was what was needed to see it.
Would I recommend it ? I do not think so, unless there is a burning desire to see a particular animal. It was very tiring, hot humid and uncomfortable. There are certainly animals, but most are tricky to find in the dense scrub, so it is the birds and water based reptiles that are predominant.
We returned to base and have our breakfast at Atalaya port, a chance to get our goodbyes in order.
Then we  loaded up on the bus to Pilcopata. At Pilcopata one of those squirrel monkeys was around and the local kids caught it, giving it to the only child on our trip.
Also a macaw was parading on the gate of the depot. There was more wildlife in town and we didn’t have to travel far. This was the most concentrated  and varied life we’ve seen so far, mind you I can’t be a little suspicious that the locals aren’t involved in keeping their presence.
The bus journey was slow due to the narrow and rough state of the road in places. Not only that, the drivers are in a rush and have no sense of any courtesy or rules.
We stopped for lunch near the entry to the park, and saw a lot of butterflies of all different colours. The sun is livening things up and of course we are leaving !
Arriving at Cusco at about 8 pm we were quite perturbed at being unceremoniously dumped on the outskirts of the city proper and told to catch a taxi. We stood on the corner wondering  if we were going to be sleeping in a shed somewhere.
None of this was communicated to us earlier and I think these guys lost a bit on tips as a result. Phil and I eventually caught a taxi together into town ,and decided to check out some options for tomorrow and the next. I organised  for us to go mountain bike riding tomorrow, it should be a lot of fun.
We though it would be a good idea to have dinner and discuss options for the next couple of days as Phil was leaving to Florida and me back to Australia. Much better to have company anyway that to sit in a restaurant on your lonesome.
I took the challenge and ate cuy  (guinea pig). It is edible I suppose. It is tough and gamey, a bit daunting with its head on staring in a macabre fashion at me.  I say let it remain as a delicacy, no longer an item of consumption for me. The meal and its presentation was crap and as I thought beforehand, it was not worth the cost and effort to eat guinea pig.
Tired with the last day – big one at that: sleep was welcomed and fortunately occurred quite rapidly.


Blog Indexes:


Comments