Cusco - Cachora

I wanted to get out of Cusco (or is it Cuzco ? the spelling is not fully ratified on any place name in this country !). It is too full on for my first day, and the altitude is a bit much. Cachora for me seems a better option as it is quieter and at 2850m, a better height to start from than Cusco's at 3300m.
I was going to get the bus, but I didn't want to be fussed with finding the station and explaining to taxi drivers in my zero base of Spanish.
Like most places in the world they place them in the most obscure areas. After contacting my accommodation in Cachora ( Casa de Salcantay), I walked into one of the travel shops they referred me to, to gain advice. They tried locating the bus station, but could not, so they kindly arranged for a taxi to get me there. I reckon these people are decent and refer their services here if a jungle trip is on your mind: Pantiacolla. The taxi cost me all of 200 sol (around $70) for the trip that was over 5 hour and to think that the driver has to return, possibly without a passenger !

I had to wait until 11:am before leaving, in the meantime I tried a local dish of skewered meat with a potato on its end, which tasted pretty darn good.

and allow a shoe shiner to con me into polishing my walking boots. /div>
Cusco looks interesting and I am sure I'll get a better look at it in the days after my trek. I am amused/annoyed about how so many cars are permitted to zip around these historical streets. Surprisingly little damage is seen on vehicles and somehow everyone manages to duck out of the way.
The drive to Cachora was a long one, due mainly to the road works. Both sides of the road are stopped with the road works and drivers are impatient so they fill both lanes causing a gridlock.
The scenery of the valleys and mountains however make this drive very worthwhile. I reckon when the road works are finished it will be a great drive or bike ride. Unfortunately the sun was such that photos were too glary.
I arrived at Casa de Salcantay just on dinner time. My host Jan, and his family are very welcoming and introduce me to my fellow guests.

Some guests were already having dinner and I was invited to join in. Dinner was delicious, followed by a nice drink or two afterwards.

Jan promises me a great trek will be organised for me to Machu Picchu, and he might accompany me on it as a guide and companion. Jan is an amazing guy, coming from Holland his hobby of alpine climbing lead him to settle in Peru and marry a lady here. He speaks six languages and is very affable. His wife and family are friendly, along with the pet ducks and chooks.
I was impressed with my accommodation, especially in such a remote village, and agree with recommendations on the internet eg. TripAdvisor and an article written in the New York Times.


Good night - buenos noches.
Looking at the map the journey of 3 1/2 hours stated by Google is somewhat an understatement. It will take longer, road works, animals and just the condition of the road makes for a slow journey. There are also quite a few stops along the way if you are a history buff. One tourist I met on one of our stops had  a book loaded with details of all the various sites, he was determined to do what it takes to see as many as he could in a month. Choquequirao is sitting just north of Cachora, and I am going to ask my host to see if it is possible to trek to Aquas Calientas & thence to Machu Picchu.

Blog Indexes:


Comments